Monday 21 May 2012

Once More Unto the Tip Dear Clive


Couldn’t decide whether to sit in the summerhouse or write a blog post – here’s the compromise.
 
I spent yesterday giving it a good spring clean (the summerhouse, not the blog), spurred on by the rumours of summer arriving later this week. All manner of strange things had accumulated in there over the winter so a big sort out was in order. ‘Everything must go’, I said. Clive was a little taken aback when he realised this meant the carpet as well but I had discovered a wooden floor underneath. He cheered up immediately when he realised it meant another trip to the tip.

Please note that the splint is off and I am learning how to use my new thumb. It is stiff rather than painful but I am doing the exercises and it is loosening up. The splint must be worn at night for a while and I am not allowed to drive or use scissors yet. Both of these things are on my personal wish list but the phsyio says not until my reading on her ‘gripometer’ improves.


We had a lovely time visiting Bedford branch of the Guild on Thursday. They are a super bunch and much fun was had. On the way we stopped for lunch at Waddesdon Manor, a National Trust pad. Lovely garden – don’t you just love this bird made of bedding plants.


They were setting up an exhibition of modern sculpture and it was very interesting to watch the exhibits being unpacked and set up. This huge lorry was unloading them and then a massive drill was brought in to stabilise the bigger ones. The drill bits were so huge that I thought they were one of the sculptures!







 I do like this one.






 
We stayed at a Premier Inn which was in the middle of a country park – big lakes with lots of birds and a marina with narrow boats. It was so good that we decided to go back for a weekend some time and explore further.

The classes are written for the Dissolvable Delights book. I got so carried away that there are two separate classes for the first lesson – one on mixed media – leaning towards rust and one on sketchbook to stitch techniques. This features my left hand drawing attempts while my hand was out of action. To be honest they don’t look much different to the right hand drawings – I had hoped for a more abstract effect.

I do love working in sketch books and have resolved to do more. Do you ever find that you start work on one subject – in this case pacific tribal art and discover motifs that link with previous research. Val CH and I did a lot of stuff on ancient Egyptian themes. Look how similar they are. Once again  the famous blogger rotate strikes. I even saved this one twice, with a different name.









Smudge has been on a long holiday with daughter Claire. This was partly due to the tick invasion and partly due to being away a bit. Tomorrow he is home, with anti-tick spot stuff administered by Claire.Birds- take cover!!!

Comments
Sorry, I’ve been remiss in answering comments lately. Will get back in the swing of it soon, Heather.

Gill – I think we are more likely to be featured in Britains biggest chukker-outers. One of the advantages (?) of downsizing.







6 comments:

Heather said...

Your summerhouse is the perfect place for recuperation.
I love the planted bird - what a great idea.
I think it is most unfair that your drawings using either hand look so similar, when mine done with my right hand look as if I had done them with my left!!
Looking forward to the classes.

Lynda Howells said...

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhh l love your Summer House and also the lying down sculturexxxxlynda

Robin Mac said...

I was glad to read your reply to the comment on the tip, I had misunderstood your remark in the blog - I thought Clive had brought home the 'rubbish'! The sculptures look wonderful, and Heather has said it all about your drawing! Keep exercising

Pat said...

Blogger rotate. I find this applies only to photos I have taken in portrait mode. If I rotate them to the left in My Pictures they come out "right" in the blog. Summerhouse looks so cosy.

Wabbit said...

The summerhouse looks lovely and relaxing.

Unknown said...

l8w17s6d90 n7j27c0v13 v8j10o6a09 n6q78w5g50 f6e21f7t27 k1w59w5s48