Wednesday 9 June 2010

Traps and Trips

It’s been a funny couple of weeks since the last blog. Just when the tum cleared up the back went. It was just like the standard comedy show sketch – I was bending over a patio pot when this terrific pain shot through my back and I couldn’t move. I thought I’d have to spend my life as a garden gnome, glued to the pot. Anyway, Clive got me indoors and I’ll pass over the next few days. I got a lot of hand stitching done.

The exhibition finished at Highcliffe and I sold a piece of work and lots of books – quite a few sales were made, which is pleasing when you think of the financial situation. I met some interesting people when stewarding.

Had a great weekend in Kent doing a talk and demos for the local Guild. They were very enthusiastic and we had a lovely day but, boy was it hot in that hall! Here are some pics from the weekend:



On the way up on Friday we had lunch at a National Trust pad - Ightham Mote. It was a lovely house and the weather was just right.

.



.









.

I'd done a bit of research on the web and found us a good place to eat in the evening. It was like being on holiday again, but without the getting lost.



The guild was very well organised - they had sales and traders and I did demos in the morning, then lunch and the talk in the afternoon. I thought their sales wall was a great idea and it was quite empty by the end of the day.

.



The cakes, oh the cakes (I'm dieting today).
.



.

The Young Embroiderers were a very lively group and I had a good chat with Ashleigh and Autumn. I've fuzzed their faces, for obvious reasons.

.

.


The talk went down well, although it was very, very hot. We had a little break part way through for doors to be opened and water drunk.

.
I do think that making a day of it is a good idea for branches. Yes, it's a lot of work, but everyone said how good it was and I'm sure that lots of tutors would be glad to do a few demos or show their work in depth.

.
Jane Wild’s group, Studio 3 had a wonderful exhibition - we went this morning. She is using more colour (she is very assured in charcoal and drawing) and says she is feeling her way. Looks pretty good to me already - I'll get pics soon.

.
At last I’m working in the studio again. Deep joy, can’t stop - back soon.

4 comments:

Julie said...

Well done on your sales Maggie and I hope your back behaves itself.

Heather said...

Do hope your back is more comfortable now. Congrats on your sales - lovely photo of the stone archway and that beautiful window above. Look after yourself and don't work too hard.

JP said...

poor you - hope you are now on the mend and clive isn't needed for ant more massage!

Digitalgran said...

I do hope your back is better Maggie!